Celebrate Thanksgiving And Gratitude For Many Good Things In Your Life
November 23, 2022 | Blog | Reading Time 2:00 Minutes
It’s likely the best attribute of humanity; it’s quick, free, easy, impactful, has health benefits, emotional benefits, and it’s contagious. Research shows it is the “single, most powerful method of increasing happiness.”
“It” is gratitude; a conscious appreciation for the good things in your life.
Gratitude is the ultimate virtual circle (the opposite of a vicious circle). When you focus your thoughts on things for which you are grateful, you’ll start to notice more things for which to be grateful. It’s the gift that keeps on giving.
One of the best things about gratitude is that it provides so many benefits to you and those around you. Practicing gratitude:
- Makes us nicer and more enjoyable to be around, thus, strengthening relationships. People like hanging out with others who are thankful, nice, polite, and respectful.
- Improves physical health. A study by Robert A. Emmons, professor of psychology at UC Davis, showed that practicing gratitude “can lower blood pressure, improve immune function and facilitate better sleep.” Gratitude can decrease pain and bad health symptoms, lower blood pressure, increase energy and more.
- Improves psychological health by reducing depression, anxiety, and negative, toxic emotions including envy, regret, and frustration.
- Helps the ability to deal with adversity.
- Helps you bounce back from stress.
- Enhances optimism- which in turn makes us happy and healthy and can even increase a lifespan.
- Inspires you to give back to your greater community.
The Thanksgiving holiday marks what is widely considered to be the most wonderful time of the year in the U.S. As EF.com reports, it’s “a time of food, family, friends, and being thankful.” While watching football, enjoying the legendary Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, eating amazing food, napping, and most importantly being among friends, it’s a starting point for acknowledging all things for which we can be thankful. But just a starting point, and a great way to celebrate the holidays.
Here, at Foulk Living, senior living community in Wilmington, you don’t have to look far to identify what makes your life better: you are loved and well-cared for by a dedicated staff, in the midst of beautiful surroundings, have abundant programs and activities to keep you active and engaged, have access to great amenities, receive excellent meal service, and are surrounded by friends.
As you celebrate Thanksgiving, celebrate your gratitude for the many good things in your life!